Removing UWP apps from Windows 10 1607/1703/1709/1803

Edit History

Mike, Twitter – @Digressive

Update 07/05/2018: A minor update to reflect some quick tests I’ve done with Windows 10 1803, April 2018 Update.

Update 30/03/2018: Minor maintenance update. Reworked some sections to be more clear and instructive. Added some new information from my own testing and fact checking.

Update 17/10/2017: Updated post with the list of apps included in Windows 10 1709 (Fall Creators Update) by default.

Update 03/08/2017: I’ve re-written much of this post to answer some questions that have come up and to help clarify the process. Thanks to Jörgen Nilsson over at ccmexec.com, with his original post that inspired me to write this one.

When deploying Windows 10 1607/1703/1709 you might want to remove some of the included UWP apps to help speed up the log in process, save storage space, bandwidth etc.

Remove All UWP Apps

Note: This process is destructive and non-reversible. Please ensure you have appropriate backups before proceeding.

To simply remove all the apps possible for the current user, run the following PowerShell command:

Get-AppxPackage | Remove-AppxPackage

To remove all the provisioned apps, run the following PowerShell command:

Note: Provisioned apps are the UWP apps that will be installed for all new users when they first log on.

Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online

Some UWP apps cannot be removed on a per-user basis. Most are system critical or in place to support other apps or the possibility of other apps being installed. Here’s a list of the UWP apps that cannot be removed from Windows 10 1709 via PowerShell:

Name
Microsoft.Windows.OOBENetworkCaptivePortal
Microsoft.NET.Native.Framework.1.6
Microsoft.NET.Native.Runtime.1.6
Microsoft.Advertising.Xaml
Microsoft.Services.Store.Engagement

Removing A Specified List of UWP Apps

The best way to begin the process of getting a list of the UWP apps you want to remove is to first install a clean copy of Windows 10.

To get a list of installed UWP apps for the current user, run this PowerShell command:

Get-AppxPackage | Select Name

To get a list of all the apps currently provisioned, use this following PowerShell command:

Note: Provisioned apps are the UWP apps that will be installed for all new users when they first log on.

Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online | Select Displayname

Here’s a list of the provisioned apps in Windows 10 1709 and 1803 as of 07/05/2018:

DisplayName

Microsoft.XboxGameOverlay
Microsoft.XboxIdentityProvider
Microsoft.XboxSpeechToTextOverlay
Microsoft.ZuneMusic
Microsoft.ZuneVideo

Remove Specified UWP Apps from the Current User

The script below will remove the apps specified at the top of the script from the currently logged on user’s profile. It will run without administrative privileges.

## Configure the apps to be removed
$AppsList = "Microsoft.BingWeather",
            "Microsoft.APPNAME...",
            "Microsoft.ZuneMusic",
            "Microsoft.ZuneVideo"

##Remove the Apps listed above or report if app not present
ForEach ($App in $AppsList)
    $PackageFullName = (Get-AppxPackage $App).PackageFullName

If ($PackageFullName)
    {
        Write-Host "Removing Package: $App"
        Remove-AppxPackage -Package $PackageFullName

Else
    {
        Write-Host "Unable to find package: $App"

## End

Remove Specified, Provisioned UWP Apps from Windows 10

The script below will remove the provisioned UWP apps specified in the $AppsList. This means apps that will be installed for new users when they first log on.

Note: The Start Menu for new users will still have icons for the removed apps. They can be removed manually by the user, or you can configure the Start Menu (and Taskbar) using a few different options. This isn’t as fully featured as it could be, in my opinion, but I’ve written about administratively configuring the Start Menu previously, here and here.

The script below must be run with administrative privileges.

## Configure the apps to be removed
$AppsList = "Microsoft.BingWeather",
            "Microsoft.APPNAME...",
            "Microsoft.ZuneMusic",
            "Microsoft.ZuneVideo"

##Remove the Apps listed above or report if app not present
ForEach ($App in $AppsList)
{
    $ProPackageFullName = (Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online | Where {$_.Displayname -eq $App}).PackageName

If ($ProPackageFullName)
    {
        Write-Host "Removing Provisioned Package: $ProPackageFullName"
        Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online -PackageName $ProPackageFullName

Else
    {
        Write-Verbose "Unable To Find Provisioned Package: $App"

## End

Remove Specified, Provisioned UWP Apps from a Windows 10 WIM Image (Offline)

The script below will remove the provisioned UWP apps specified in the $AppsList from w Windows 10 1703 WIM file.

1709 Fall Creators Update/1803 April 2018 Update note: There are multiple images packaged in the WIM file, so you will need to specify the index to reflect the OS you wish to remove the apps from. Here’s a post from Michael Niehaus on the packaging changes and which index number you need to use for which edition of Windows 10.

## Configure the location of your image and a path to mount it
$Wim = "E:\foo\myimage.wim"
$Index = "1"
$MountPath = "E:\foo\offline"

## Configure the apps to be removed
$AppsList = "Microsoft.BingWeather",
            "Microsoft.APPNAME...",
            "Microsoft.ZuneMusic",
            "Microsoft.ZuneVideo"
## Mount the Image
Mount-WindowsImage –ImagePath $Wim –Index $Index –Path $MountPath

##Remove the Apps listed above or report if app not present
ForEach ($App in $AppsList)
{
    $ProPackageFullName = (Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Path $MountPath | Where {$_.Displayname -eq $App}).PackageName

If ($ProPackageFullName)
    {
        Write-Host "Removing Provisioned Package: $ProPackageFullName"
        Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -Path $MountPath -PackageName $ProPackageFullName

Else
    {
        Write-Host "Unable to find provisioned package: $App"
}

## Dismount the image and save changes
Dismount-WindowsImage –Path $MountPath -Save

## End

The Original Script

I use the script below as a part of a Task Sequence that creates my reference image. The script below is pretty much the original with some edits by me for Windows 10 1709/1803. The original script is from Jörgen Nilsson’s post on his site, ccmexec.com. The script removes the apps specified from the current logged on user and removes the provisioned apps from the Windows 10 install.

$AppsList = "Microsoft.BingWeather",
            "Microsoft.APPNAME...",
            "Microsoft.ZuneMusic",
            "Microsoft.ZuneVideo"

ForEach ($App in $AppsList)
    $PackageFullName = (Get-AppxPackage $App).PackageFullName

If ($PackageFullName)
    {
        Write-Verbose "Removing Package: $App"
        Remove-AppxPackage -Package $PackageFullName

Else
    {
        Write-Host "Unable To Find Package: $App"

If ($ProPackageFullName)
    {
        Write-Verbose "Removing Provisioned Package: $ProPackageFullName"
        Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online -PackageName $ProPackageFullName

Else
    {
        Write-Verbose "Unable To Find Provisioned Package: $App"

Twitter – @Digressive

62 Comments Add yours

1. Jeff Scharfenberg says:

One large problem is the user this is run against has to have administrative rights to their PC. In an enterprise environment like ours, 99% of users are NOT. When you even run this as administrator, it uninstalls under that profile…not the user. From here on we’re pushing 1703 only through OSD in ConfigMgr. But we do have about 50 users that need to be upgraded. Any suggestions? Even Microsoft premier support is stuck on this one

1. Mike Galvin says:

What I do is run the Remove-Apps PS script during image creation in the Task Sequence. Then on deploy I use copy profile in the unattend.xml, so the default profile is free of the apps.

1. Joe says:

Hey Mike, where in the TS do you have this step? I can’t seem to figure out where in the process it should be for it to actually remove the apps. I’m having this issue in both my OS upgrade package and new build. Any help is appreciated!

2. Mike Galvin says:

Hi Joe,
        I put it right at the end, after Windows Updates (which are provided by a WSUS server). I must say that a few people have given me a lot of feedback saying that it isn’t working for them – so maybe I’m missing something, but I’m in the middle of doing prep work for a large Windows 10 deployment right now and I’m not having any issues – the apps are gone in my images. I will definitely re-visit this once my work is complete and try to figure out what is going on.

Sorry I can’t be of more help right now, thanks for the comment!

3. Saeid says:

Hello, Have you tested this on 1709?
        does sysprep still work?

4. Mike Galvin says:

Hi, Yes I’ve been using it since 1709 came out, I’ve had no problems.

2. Geo says:

Can this be run on the .wim file?

1. Mike Galvin says:

Yes it can. I’ve updated the post.

3. Patrick Lee says:

Hi Mike,

I’m setting up deploying Win10 v1607 with MDT and wondering where in the TS you could put this?

Just an added note, I am adding CU KB4025339 in Preinstall area right after Inject drivers. I don’t create any hybrid images and simply use MDT to deploy the vanilla v1607 wim…..just a preference thing at the moment.

Thanks

1. Mike Galvin says:

Hi Patrick, I’ve actually just updated this post to explain the process better. In my TS I put the remove-UWP-apps PowerShell script in a Custom Tasks folder after Windows Update (Post-Installation).

Hope that helps.

4. Erik Nettekoven says:

Hi,
    I found out an easy (?) way to clear the broken tiles that are left over after the store apps are removed and you log in as a different new user. Just run the following powershell command:
    Stop-Process -ProcessName explorer -Force
    You have to do this once per every new user that logs into the machine.

“Luckily” in our situation this is already done by the manage taskbar script, explained here: http://ccmexec.com/2015/12/removing-the-edge-icon-from-the-taskbar-during-osd/
    Part of the script is the commandlet outlined above.

1. Mike Galvin says:

That’s good to know, thanks for the comment!

5. Jim Dixon says:

This is great, worked perfectly – thank you!

Liked by 1 person

6. sib says:

Hi,
    Can you post the screenshot of the task seqence part of the script .

The script is running offline or onlin in the task sequence ?

How about turing consumer experience off in the gpo ?

Thanks

Hi there,

I can post the Task Sequence but I’m currently unable to, will post it soon.

Here’s my Task Sequence with the remove UWP apps script: UWP Apps Remove script in Task Sequence

Personally, I run the script online.

The Consumer Experience GPO setting prevents Candy Crush etc. from being downloaded and installed, but I’ve never had to enable it personally. I’d like to look into it a but more though, thanks!

7. Dean Evora says:

hello Mike,
    can you share your unattended.xml?

1. Mike Galvin says:

Hi there, I’m happy to share my unattended.xml, but I have a few. Is there something specific you are looking for? Thanks

8. Keith S says:

I’m curious what apps you are removing and which ones you are keeping. In an enterprise environment, I really don’t care if they can still access Maps or Calculator, or even paint (sometimes they put screen shots in there).

But all the xbox stuff, candy crush saga, bubble witch saga, no need for alarms or people (they use Outlook for that kind of thing), no reason for windows store, feedback hub, etc…

1. Mike Galvin says:

Hi there, for me, it depends on the environment. It’s totally up to you which ones you remove and which ones you keep, I’ve just listed all of the built-in apps to be helpful. 🙂 -Mike

9. ptbNO says:

Hey Mike, first of all thanks for the script (and blog content). I would appreciate if you can give me your input on my problem with apps returning when running your script (and other similar scripts based on Remove-Appx & Remove-AppxProvisioned -online). Everything except 3 apps is removed upon startup but within minutes after first logon more apps starts to populate. I have a long technet thread here with screenshots (where one of the guys pointed me to your script):

On my latest attempts I am both removing apps in my MDT task sequence and SCCM task sequence, same issue. In advance, thank you.

1. Mike Galvin says:

Hi there, firstly thanks for the kind words! I see what you’re trying to achieve and I’ll try to help as best I can. Some apps like Candy Crush aren’t really installed as part of the OS, but are a stub (if you will), and when the Windows Store update process kicks in and if there’s internet access, it’ll download and install it. During my image builds, this is prevented because there’s no internet access. When deploying Windows 10, I customise the Start Menu and the Candy Crush and other apps tiles are removed, so the apps don’t try to install. There’s a GPO option that may help with this too, although I haven’t tested myself yet. More info here: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/mniehaus/2015/11/23/seeing-extra-apps-turn-them-off/

Hope this helps!

1. ptbNO says:

Hey again Mike, my WIM file is already generated from MDT (with the scripts to remove apps running in MDT task sequence). Then I run the script a second time during OS deployment in SCCM (with the WIM file from MDT).

Basically what happens is that the computer looks fine upon startup post OSD, but within 10-15 minutes a particular set of apps are installed. Despite these apps already haven been removed with Remove-Appx + Remove-AppxProvisioned -online . In eventlog I see one Event 43/WindowsUpdateClient event per app being re-installed. So the users will get the apps back regardless as soon as computer has Internet access, and I don’t see how image build without Internet access would change that.

I have ended up restricting _a lot_in Registry now (including stuff on Cloud Content, hence your URL), and so far it looks fine. Although I wish I was able to get clean looking business OS without having to do all these Registry changes. With the current approach MS is taking on apps and dynamic OS changes it’s hard to tell if some registry change will give a future problem.

Re customizing XML: My issue is, as far as I know I can only customize the tiles out on the right side. As long as an app is installed it will appear on the alphabetical start menu list on left side and there’s no way to hide them. If that was possible it would be a solution I’d be satisfied with.

The reason why I wan’t as few apps as possible (at least no non-business software) on the left side start menu is because I am deploying Win10 to computer novice users currently using Win7. They have never seen tiles and based on their Win7 experience the first place they will try to locate software is on the left side start menu.

10. Peter Becker says:

Anyone tried to remove appx from wim with 1709?
    Did not work for me. All present after installation.

1. Mike Galvin says:

Hi, I haven’t tried from the wim yet, I’ve been doing it in the task sequence. You might have to change the index, because there’s multiple versions in the wim now. See here for more info: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/windowsitpro/2017/10/13/windows-10-version-1709-coming-soon/

1. Peter Becker says:

Excellent Hint. Index was indeed wrong.
        THank you.

2. Saeid says:

Instead I have edited the file EL.cfg in source directory of windows 10 1709 as follow:

[EditionID]
        Enterprise
        [Channel]
        volume

[VL]

11. Bruce McDonald says:

Mike,

Spent a portion of today performing an upgrade of 1607 ENT to 1709 ENT – the upgrade itself went fine – but I did have some odd behavior with your “removal” script. Here is my slightly customized version of your script:

$AppsList = “Microsoft.DesktopAppInstaller”,
    “Microsoft.XboxSpeechToTextOverlay”,
    “Microsoft.ZuneMusic”,
    “Microsoft.ZuneVideo”

ForEach ($App in $AppsList) {

$PackageFullName = (Get-AppxPackage $App).PackageFullName

If ($PackageFullName) {
    Write-Verbose “Removing Package: $App”
    Remove-AppxPackage -Package $PackageFullName

Else {
    Write-Host “Unable To Find Package: $App”

If ($ProPackageFullName) {
    Write-Verbose “Removing Provisioned Package: $ProPackageFullName”
    Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online -PackageName $ProPackageFullName

Else {
    Write-Verbose “Unable To Find Provisioned Package: $App”
    }

I inserted this to run as a PS entry (RemoveUWPApps.ps1) directly after the Windows Update (Post-Application Installation) node in my “upgrade” task sequence.

When I ran the TS – the upgrade was applied but went I logged into Windows – several apps like Groove Music (aka ZuneMusic), the entire XBox group and ZuneVideo (aka Movies and Video?) remained in place.

I am baffled as to why they were not removed as they are all targets to be dumped as part of my script.

Is the positioning of the script in the wrong spot or am I missing something else?

Bruce

Hi Bruce,
      Thanks for the info. I’m not sure why the apps are remaining after the running of the script, the script is in a good position, it’s where I put it during image build TS’s. What I’d suggest is perhaps removing the apps with PowerShell from the WIM file itself and then try the upgrade with that file. It would still be classed as an “original” WIM to MDT I think.

12. Bruce McDonald says:

Mike,

I have experimented with several of your scripts here – and none of them seem to work correctly on 1709. I just did another 1607->1709 upgrade and then ran the first script “Remove UWP Apps from the Current User” from the Win 10 desktop.

PS correctly identified a list of apps that were not installed and then took aim at these remaining apps:

Microsoft.Xbox.TCUI”,
    “Microsoft.XboxApp”,
    “Microsoft.XboxGameOverlay”,
    “Microsoft.XboxIdentityProvider”,
    “Microsoft.XboxSpeechToTextOverlay”,
    “Microsoft.ZuneMusic”,
    “Microsoft.ZuneVideo”

The script echoed back that it was in fact “removing” these – but even after a reboot – the apps are still on the start menu and they are not just icons – I can click an icon and the apps starts up.

I wonder what is going on?

B

Hi Bruce,
      I’m sorry but I don’t know. I’m on vacation right now so I’m not looking into this at the moment. I’ll post about it if I have any issues.

13. Bruce McDonald says:

Mike,

No problem. Enjoy your vacay. Talk soon.

Cheers,

B

Liked by 1 person

14. Raja says:

Hi Mike,
    Thanks a lot for your script and your continuous response to each and every comment.
    Keep Going your Good Work !!!

I have a Query, I have created a MDT image of 1709. But as someone said above, apps removed from Admin ID exists on other user profiles. its not getting removed for all users.

Please give me a hint to remove apps from all users .

Also I have some placeholder tiles on start layout, how to remove this automatically?

Enjoy your vacation.
    Awaiting your update.

Hi Raja,
      Firstly, thanks for the kind words! On to your queries: At the bottom of the post is the original script which I still use in my Task Sequence. The script removes the apps for the current user, which in my case is the local administrator, and also all future users. I run this script as part of my build Task Sequence. I deploy images with a separate TS.

As for the icons on the start menu, I customise my Start Menu layout which has all those apps removed. I wrote about how to do that here: https://gal.vin/2017/03/30/w10-1607-start-menu-customisation-update/

Hope this helps.

1. Bruce McDonald says:

Mike

I tested your script with 1709 on a bunch of different task sequences – and it does not remove apps cleanly for all users. It does clear them for Admin during the TS – but there are a number of threads on how “copyprofile” is now somehow deprecated (or certainly hit or miss) in 1709 and as such does not remove the apps for a different user.

I install 3 additional user accounts during my standard task sequence and if – after running your script – I log on as any of these users – even with CopyProfile in the unattend.xml file – the apps are still there.

So I took it to an extreme level and now do a hard remove on the actual source files using NT Lite. This proves to be perfect as I can clean out everything before ever starting the TS.

Cheers,

Bruce

2. Mike Galvin says:

Hi Bruce,
        Mmmm, I’ve had no trouble doing it this way myself recently, and I’m currently using devices with 1709 deployed in my usual way using the script and copy profile, but it’s also possible I’m missing something. As of this week, I’ve moved onto a new project at a much larger organisation. I will be dealing with Windows 10 deployment in the future and I’ll post about any findings and improvements as I come across them. I’ve no time frame for this at the moment though as I’m currently re-building the team and infrastructure. Thanks for all of your comments, they’ve been useful, but sadly I’m not in a position to spend time looking into these issues like I once was. Or at least for the time being.

15. Zac says:

When i run this on a mount WIM file for 1709 i get unable to find provisioned package. when i just run the Dism /image:C:\Mount /Get-ProvisionedAppxPackage i get a list of packages install but it cant see them using the script any idea?

1. Mike Galvin says:

Have you tried the code under the heading “Remove Provisioned UWP Apps from a Windows 10 .wim Image (Offline)” This script should be the one you want, and you don’t need to mount it beforehand.

16. Dan says:

Thanks for this

Do you think the ‘The Original Script’ will work when I’m upgrading the OS from Win7 – Win10 1709 ?

17. Saeid says:

Hello Mike,
    Thank you very much for very helpful information.
    I removed the UWP from offline wim file and then performed in-place upgrade on a win7 machine.
    after the upgrade I noticed all tiles still there , X-box for example, but with down arrow.
    I even created new user but down arrows were still there. any IDEA?
    Thanks

1. Mike Galvin says:

No problem mate. Apologise I can’t help more – having some health issues.

As far as I can remember, I had a similar issue. The apps were removed but the icons remained for some users. I happened to customise the Start Menu for a lot of users, and that “fixed” the issue of the icons being there, because my customisation removed them.

18. Tim Gatch says:

I remove all Windows 10 Built-iN Apps from the WIM except Calc, Sticky Notes, Paint, Camera, Sound Recorder and Photos. Then when I deploy the WIM either to upgrade from V1607 or to a VM for a re-capture scenario the Photos App will not work. All the rest of the Built-iN Apps work except Photos. I just click on the Photos and it does nothing. The tile is like dead. I try to reinstall the app with Powershell and it tells me the Net.NativeRuntime1.4 is missing. It is like it is getting stripped off somehow during the removal of other Built-In Apps. Any advice on this?

Hi Tim,

I’m sorry I’m not sure about this one. I haven’t done as much with upgrades as with new installs (so many are still moving to Windows 10 from Windows 7). I hope you find the solution to this problem. Apologies.

Mike

2. Fred says:

The app that somehow breaks Photos and MS Store exactly as you described is Microsoft.OneConnect. I have been looking for this for two weeks. I finally decided to just test them one at a time until I found it. Once I removed it from my “remove” list and reimaged, Photos and Store both started working again. Good luck.

19. B-R.S. says:

How about skipping scripts and doing it the good ol fashioned way with Powershell? Anything on that?

1. Mike Galvin says:

These scripts are PowerShell scripts.

20. David says:

Hi Mike,

Thank you for all your Work and for being this good person answering all you can.

I hope your health issues are gone and that you are doing great !

Have a good one.

David

21. Gus says:

Trying to deploy window 10 pro 1709 downloaded from Microsoft’s volume license center. After the os is installed a voice says ” windows is going to check for updates” when host restarts it’s unable to login with the following message: “This user can’t sign in because this account is currently disabled” can’t figure out why the Administrator account is disabled. I then have to login using my ad credentials enable the administrator account and restart. At Least I have a workaround but I’m trying to get this annoying behavior sorted out. Can anyone please help?

22. Reblogged this on Carpet Bomberz Inc. and commented:
    Some great technical writing here, just the facts from Mike Galvin on the necessity of helping manage UWP apps and Pre-provisioning of them on Win10-1709 (Creator Update). Looking forward to the finalizing of the RTM version soon, and pulling down the .iso files to start my own test .wim for use at work.

23. Antti says:

Script under “Remove Specified UWP Apps from the Current User” won’t work in 32-bit Windows 10 1709. About only half of the apps was removed. This worked for the rest:
    $AppList = @(

“Microsoft.XboxSpeechToTextOverlay”,
    “Microsoft.ZuneMusic”,
    “Microsoft.ZuneVideo”

foreach ($App in $AppList) {

Get-AppxPackage -Name $App | Remove-AppxPackage

}

24. I like using the out-gridview -mode Multiple for interactive removal. Let’s you pick them off the list. Not a run quietly script, but if you are hand setting up your gold image, it’s nice.

25. sebus says:

Windows 1803 Education, quite few appx cannot be removed by either PS or dism. Each gives the same error “Unspecified error” 0x80070005

Works on other SKU

26. sebus says:

In fact I used
    $Packages = ‘Microsoft.BingWeather’
    Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online | Where-Object DisplayName -In $Packages | Remove-ProvisionedAppxPackage -Online | Out-Null

and it worked next day (maybe a reboot?)

27. Jacek Borkowski says:

I am curious as to how you generated the list of apps that cannot be removed for 1709? Would like to generate that for 1703, and 1803.

Hi Jacek,

I just attempted to remove the apps using PowerShell. The apps that wouldn’t remove are the ones listed.

28. Jacek Borkowski says:

Well that’s easy enough – thanks for the info.