Really simple log on/off auditing utility
For full change log and more information, visit my site.
Logon Audit Utility is available from:
Please consider supporting my work:
Please report any problems via the ‘issues’ tab on GitHub.
Features and Requirements
- The utility should be run on a client machine.
- It is ideally triggered as a logon/logoff script by Group Policy.
- Any files that the script needs to access should be accessible from a client device.
- It can be used to log to a file, send to Teams or both.
- The utility requires at least PowerShell 5.0.
- This utility has been tested on Windows 11, Windows 10, Windows Server 2022, Windows Server 2019, Windows Server 2016 and Windows Server 2012 R2.
Here’s a list of all the command line switches and example configurations.
|Command Line Switch||Description||Example|
|-Logon||Use this option to log a log on event.||N/A|
|-Logoff||Use this option to log a log off event.||N/A|
|-Teams||Use this option to send events to Teams via webhook.||[path\webhook.txt]|
|-L||The path to output the log file to.||[path\logs]|
|-Help||Display usage information. No arguments also displays help.||N/A|
The above command will record a logon event for the currently logged on user to the log file and also to Teams.
2022-06-14: Version 22.05.30
- Added checks and balances to help with configuration as I’m very aware that the initial configuration can be troublesome. Running the utility manually is a lot more friendly and step-by-step now.
- Added -Help to give usage instructions in the terminal. Running the script with no options will also trigger the -help switch.
- Cleaned user entered paths so that trailing slashes no longer break things or have otherwise unintended results.
- Added -LogRotate [days] to removed old logs created by the utility.
- Streamlined config report so non configured options are not shown.
- Added donation link to the ASCII banner.
- Cleaned up code, removed unneeded log noise.
2021-12-08: Version 21.12.08
- Configured logs path now is created, if it does not exist.
- Added OS version info.
- Added Utility version info.
- Added Hostname info.
- Changed a variable to prevent conflicts with future PowerShell versions.
2020-03-12: Version 20.03.12 ‘Chick’
- Added option to send an event to Microsoft Teams.
- Refactored code.
- Fully backwards compatible.
- Initial public release.